Re: [ANN] gzochi project development release 0.5

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: [ANN] gzochi project development release 0.5
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:59:29 -0500

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Julian Graham <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hello, Julian.

> I'm pleased to announce the fifth development release of the gzochi
> game development framework.
>
> The project description, from Savannah: gzochi (/zoʊ-tʃiː/) is a
> framework for developing massively multiplayer online games. A server
> container provides services to deployed games, which are written in
> Guile Scheme, that abstract and simplify some of the most challenging
> and error-prone aspects of online game development: Concurrency, data
> persistence, and network communications. A very thin client library
> can be embedded to provide connectivity for client applications
> written in any language. gzochi can be viewed as an application server
> (plus clients) for Guile applications that have special kinds of
> workloads -- quick, CPU-bound tasks that require transactional
> guarantees around sending messages and accessing data.

I am working on a 2D game development library
(https://gitorious.org/guile-2d/guile-2d/) that is still in its early
stages. I'm curious about how much our efforts overlap and if they
could be used together easily. My library is concerned with graphics,
audio, and user input and yours appears to be a client/server
framework, so I think that with our powers combined we can make 2D
multiplayer games with Guile. :)

I think it would be really useful if your website showed some example
code snippets to make it clear as to what problems your software is
solving and how it solves them. It's not immediately clear to me how I
would get started using gzochi.

That said, it's an exciting project. Congrats on the release!

- Dave Thompson