Re: [ANN] Guile Hall Release (v0.1.1)

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: [ANN] Guile Hall Release (v0.1.1)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 21:59:29 +0200

alex sassmannshausen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey Arne,
>
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, 09:27 Arne Babenhauserheide, <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> > Gesendet: Dienstag, 03. Juli 2018 um 09:03 Uhr
>> > Von: "alex sassmannshausen" <address@hidden>
>> > An: "Ludovic Courtès" <address@hidden>
>> > Cc: address@hidden
>> > Betreff: Re: [ANN] Guile Hall Release (v0.1.1)

>> Hall
>> things

>> and

>> > Agreed. I do think having some easy way of "running" your project would
>> be
>> > cool.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your thoughts!
>>
>> A while ago I started a project which simply sets up autotools:
>>
>> https://bitbucket.org/ArneBab/conf/src/default/
>>
>> > conf - Initialize modern autotools projects
>> > Inspired by Mozilla Cargo ( http://doc.crates.io/guide.html ) but
>> without the NIH and currently more limited in scope.
>> > See NEWS for user-visible changes. See ChangeLog or the history for
>> detailed changes.
>>
>> Going that way allows re-using all the features of autotools by providing
>> simple templates for common setups — and a starting point for more complex
>>

> From this description, it sounds fairly close to what hall does too! Sounds
> like there's some overlap here :)

Good ideas seldomly come alone, yet only those keep going which are
pushed forward by their creators — kudos for doing what I didn’t manage to!

> Then hall build can simply be a wrapper for ./bootstrap.sh && ./configure
>> && make
>>

> Right, that could indeed already be the implementation of hall build
> actually. Thanks for that idea!

Feel free to adopt it!

For Guile there’s already a nice autotools setup by Erik Edrosa¹² which
you could start from. I’ve been planning to adopt it into conf for half
a year now, but always got occupied by other stuff.

And once the autotools stuff is in place, packaging for Guix is just a
matter of designating a download location.

Best wishes,
Arne

¹: https://erikedrosa.com/2017/10/29/guile-projects-with-autotools.html
²: