Re: How to build GNUTLS Guile bindings on Xubuntu

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: How to build GNUTLS Guile bindings on Xubuntu
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 20:30:13 -0500

Hi Alex,

Alex Vong <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe what I wrote is not clear. What I mean is that since Debian build
> of gnutls does not include the guile bindings, we have to build gnutls
> from the source tarball ourselves.
>
> The flag "--with-guile-site-dir=/usr/local/share/guile/site/2.2"
> instructs the build script to install the guile bindings into
> "/usr/local/share/guile/site/2.2".

Sure.  This is reasonable, but for the sake of completeness, I'll point
out two disadvantages with this approach, namely that (1) it entails
effectively overriding Debian's GnuTLS library with your manually built
version, which potentially affects the operation of any Debian package
that links to GnuTLS and (2) it means staying on top of security updates
yourself, i.e. recompiling and installing new versions of GnuTLS or the
bundled copies of libtasn1 and libunistring when security flaws are
discovered in those versions.  Ditto for the other packages that you
build and install manually.

     Regards,
       Mark