Use core or SRFIs?

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Use core or SRFIs?
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:55:26 +0200

Hello Guile Users!

I have a question regarding usage of SRFIs in Guile code.

Sometimes there are core functions, which are also available from an
SRFI implementation. One example I am currently dealing with are bitwise
operations for integer numbers. There is SRFI 60 and there are the core
functions like logand, logior and so on.

Usually I tend to think, that using the SRFI implementation in such
situation is better, as it is an implementation of a common interface,
which other Schemes might also have implemented. Using that makes code
more portable to other Schemes. However, I want to be sure, that this is
a good way of thinking about it. Are there ever arguments against using
an SRFI implementation, when an SRFI implementation provides what I need?

Another example are structs. I usually use SRFI 9 to make some structs,
instead of the core record or struct type.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Zelphir