Re: Fibers 1.1.0 released

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: Fibers 1.1.0 released
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 15:43:23 +0000

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 20:09:36 +0100
Vivien <vivien@planete-kraus.eu> wrote:
> Le lundi 31 janvier 2022 à 10:27 -0800, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué a
> écrit :
> > On behalf of the Fibers team, I am very excited to announce Fibers
> > 1.1.0.
> Thank you. Fibers is a very important piece in the guile ecosystem. I
> wish it were part of guile itself. Guile already has futures and
> suspendable i/o out of the box; to me these two features make little
> sense if there’s no Fibers on top of that. What do you think?

Guile's futures have plenty of uses other than fibres - they are a
generic way of offloading computations onto other cores.  I may be
wrong, but I don't think they are used by Fibers.

Suspendable ports are essential for practical use of Fibers but there
are other uses of them in asynchronous code, as for example in 8sync and
guile-a-sync.

The main issue with Fibers is that at present it is epoll-only (and so
linux-only).  It's great to hear that that is being addressed.

Chris