Re: Proposal: Deep Dive into the Guile Docs & Makeover Proposal

From: Blake Shaw
Subject: Re: Proposal: Deep Dive into the Guile Docs & Makeover Proposal
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 18:46:55 +0700

Neil Jerram <neiljerram@gmail.com> writes:

> Speaking as one of the past authors of the manual, I look forward to
> hearing your thoughts.  It is genuinely challenging to present this
> amount of material and explain its complexity, and there is no reason
> at all to consider any current arrangement as cast in stone.  Thanks
> for thinking about this.
>
> Best wishes,
>     Neil

for sure. on the guix list a lot of people expressed their
frustrations (many which I share to be sure, which is why I'm drawn to
work on this), and some suggested solutions of "we should follow x
format". while I understand that sentiment, I as a recovering academic
who has helped friends with countless dissertations I also realize that
too hasty judgements in an editing process can lead to frustrations
which ultimately stall progress. nonetheless, I'm pretty confident that
most of my proposal will resonate with the newcomers and old timers
alike, and folks will agree to let me move forward without getting
bogged down in bikeshedding.

it's been quite a trip learning guile! and I'm happy I've put the effort
into it and hope I can contribute in such a way that will make it a
smoother process for future newcomers :)

--
“In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni”