Re: Inconsistencies with free-identifier=? and bound-identifier=?

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Inconsistencies with free-identifier=? and bound-identifier=?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 22:37:51 -0600

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> Le jeudi 27 juillet 2023 à 12:28 -0600, Timothy Sample a écrit :
>
>  May I ask why you are exploring this?  It’s quite arcane!
>
> Because I am writing my own syntax expander :-)

Nice!  Best of luck to you.  :)

> (This is a school project, nothing serious. Still, formalizing the
> macro system is kind of the whole point. I wanted to make sure I was
> getting it right, but now I'm discovering that "right" is not a thing
> here :-).
>
> Thanks for your links, I will read them.

One other one that I will point out is “Inferring scope through
syntactic sugar” by Justin Pombrio, Shriram Krishnamurthi, and Mitchell
Wand (https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3110288).  I didn’t get a ton out
of it (maybe I didn’t understand it!), but since you mentioned
formalizing, they give a more formal definition of variable scope
(section 3) that might interest you.

-- Tim