guix-devel

Re: Troubles with install image

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: Troubles with install image
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 09:33:24 -0400

> David Thompson <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>>   ext2fs_check_if_mount: Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to
>>   missing mtab file when determining whether /dev/sdb1 is mounted.
>>   fsck.ext4: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/sdb1
>>   Possibily non-existent or swap device?
>>   'fsck.ext4' exited with code 8 on /dev/sdb1
>
> It could be that (1) it’s not called that way, or (2) additional kernel
> modules need to be loaded so that the device is visible.
>
> For (1), you could try using a partition label rather than the actual
> device name in the ‘file-system’ declaration.
>
> For (2), you could check in the kernel log whether sdb is detected.

The problem was a little bit of 1 and 2.

When I am installing, the disk is known as sdb, but when I boot it's
known as sda.  So, I made that change in the file-system declaration.

The initrd doesn't have modules for ahci by default, so I took a little
snippet that Mark Weaver was using in his operating-system declaration:

  (initrd (cut base-initrd <> #:extra-modules '("libahci.ko" "ahci.ko")))

And now for the best news: I have a working installation of the GNU
system!  Thanks for all of your help!

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org