guix-devel

Re: wrap-program

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: wrap-program
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:09:21 +0200

Hello,

I am only now catching up with the discussion. So far, I do not understand
why we need a wrapper. Would it not be enough to add the environment variables
$XDG_DATA_DIRS etc. to the search paths of the programs, in the same way as
perl or python modules incite the user to define the corresponding environment
variables pointing to a subdirectory of .guix-profile?

For instance, I have the following in my .bashrc:
export
PYTHONPATH=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/python3.3/site-packages

And I already have
export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$HOME/.guix-profile/share
This one was just good to have and, if I remember correctly, not suggested
when installing some package, but it could be added to the packages needing it.

Andreas