guix-devel

Re: ui: Move 'show-manifest-transaction' from (guix profiles).

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: ui: Move 'show-manifest-transaction' from (guix profiles).
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 23:03:45 +0200

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès (2014-10-08 23:55 +0400) wrote:

[...]

>> However, back to the initial problem, is this a problem if the error
>> conditions are defined in (guix profiles), which is then imported by
>> (guix ui)?  This is suboptimal, but this kind of circular reference
>> shouldn’t cause any troubles.
>
> Do you mean to "#:select" condition types in (guix ui)?

No, because #:select basically prevents circular references.

> What about making an auxiliary (guix conditions) module with all
> existing condition types, and use it where needed?  I could try to work
> on it if it sounds reasonable.  WDYT?

Hmm yes, but only as a last resort.

I’ve spent some time trying to better understand the problem, but failed
(we desperately need tools in Guile do to this sort of things.)  Another
part of the problem is that (guix monads) uses other modules’ bindings
at the top-level.

Mark, any ideas?

Alex, is there a way we can backtrack a bit and move forward in the
meantime?

Ludo’.