guix-devel

Re: Suggestion: disable offloading for texlive builds on hydra?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Suggestion: disable offloading for texlive builds on hydra?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:50:26 +0100

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 12:07:13PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Hmm.  It is indeed a hack, but maybe worth considering.  When I think
> about Guix users downloading over 3 GiB from our humble hydra quite
> often just to have TeX, it makes me worry about our bandwidth
> requirements.

What do you mean by "just to have Tex"? This is definitely one of the most
important pieces of software I am using. And having all of it including its
documentation with one installation is a big gain over debian, where one
must always be afraid of being on the train and missing this one crucial
latex style file, or not being able to look up all the obscure options of
algorithm2e.sty ;-)

One option would be to have something like "texlive-small", containing only
the binaries and a smallish subset of texmf-dist, excluding the documentation
and most of the fonts. Users could then choose between the small and the
full package.

Andreas