guix-devel

Re: Helping programs find their icons

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Helping programs find their icons
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 21:41:31 +0100

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> However, this problem is quite widespread.  Many of our gtk packages
> install icons into $out/share/icons/hicolor but have no 'index.theme',
> and I suspect that's the reason the xfce application menu is missing so
> many icons.
>
>   inkscape-0.91
>   emacs-24.4
>   gtk+-3.14.7
>   xfce4-session-4.10.0
>   xfwm4-4.10.0
>   exo-0.8.0
>   thunar-1.4.0
>   xfce4-panel-4.10.0
>   xfdesktop-4.10.0
>   xfce4-battery-plugin-1.0.5
>   transmission-2.84
>
> I think it might be helpful to add a post-install phase to
> 'glib-or-gtk-build-system' that installs 'index.theme' from
> 'hicolor-icon-theme' if $out/share/icons/hicolor exists.

As 宋文武 suggests, glib-or-gtk-build-system may solve the problem if we
add ‘hicolor-icon-theme’ to the inputs, because it would automatically
add it to $XDG_DATA_DIRS.  Wouldn’t it?

Currently things like Evince, for instance, do find their icons.
GIMP and Inkscape are fine too, but I think they use slightly different
mechanisms.

Thanks,
Ludo’.