guix-devel

Re: A secure multimedia workstation

From: Dirk Scheuring
Subject: Re: A secure multimedia workstation
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 18:33:02 +0100

Ludo wrote:

> Ideally, it would boil down to preparing a custom 'operating-system'
declaration-with all the services and packages of interest ready to
use-that users would inherit from to further customize things.

Yes, that would be the idea. You here and and your relatives (1) are way
further up the curve, of course, so I'm greatly encouraged by getting
what seems to be a "sounds reasonable" reply from you. This thing has
just migrated from the "crazy fantasy" to the "important side project"
stage for me.

> At this point the Guix System Distribution is still very much for
hackers rather than newcomers, but I would love to see projects like
this one grow.

I reckon that it will take me some years to learn how to build what I
can now only describe, but I also know why I want to spend the time: I
plan to use computers for decades more; I figured out that most of my
problems with them might be solvable by freedom, statelessness, and
homoiconicity; and Guix offers exactly these features. This makes it
seem worth the investment.

> Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for your work. Thanks to all of you here. I believe that Guix
matters, so carry on, please.

Dirk

(1)
https://www.domenkozar.com/2014/03/11/why-puppet-chef-ansible-arent-good-enough-and-we-can-do-better/