guix-devel

Re: Improving the usability of 'guix environment'

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: Improving the usability of 'guix environment'
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:35:29 -0500

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 11:45:02AM -0500, David Thompson wrote:
>>     guix environment guile guile-sdl # let's tinker with SDL in Guile
>
> Is this not already covered by doing a "guix package -i ...", tinkering,
> and a roll-back? There is one more line to type for the roll-back.
> The functionality with installing inputs is much more useful as it saves
> a lot of typing, and looking up which inputs are needed.

That works, but it creates more of a mess than it ought to and isn't as
automated.  I do not want to add a new generation to my profile (that
then must be explicitly GC'd later), and I want all of the environment
variables automatically setup for me somewhat like the build daemon
does.  Furthermore, 'guix environment' can create a pure environment,
where, in this example, only guile and guile-sdl things would be present
in the search paths.

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org