guix-devel

Re: Calibre

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Calibre
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 17:09:07 -0500

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 04:35:44PM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:
>> > This is even more surprising as there is the file COPYRIGHT
>> > in the distribution, which diligently lists the licenses of lots of
>> > packages, except apparently for the non-free ones...
>> Debian's copyright file only lists the licenses of what they included in
>> their source package, so anything they removed is not included.
>
> Yes, but here the COPYRIGHT file is already in the original tarball.

In general, you cannot trust the upstream authors' summary of their
license.  Most authors are very sloppy about legal matters.  What
ultimately matters are the copyright notices on the source files.

> I am giving up on contacting the author; all communication goes via forums
> or bug trackers that require to sign up and accept terms and conditions,
> or that show a captcha which is not working on icecat.

That's annoying :-(

I've recently started to use LibreJS most of the time, but have found
that even after whitelisting a site, it still sometimes prevents a site
from working properly.  In such cases I have to disable LibreJS
altogether and then re-enable it afterwards.

      Mark