guix-devel

Re: [ART] Website mockup rev1

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: [ART] Website mockup rev1
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:11:20 +0100

Hello,

as we are getting used to now, this is really impressive work!

I think we should give some more thought (and I do not have answers ready to
these questions) on which information we want to emphasise. As Adam, I think
it might be a bit premature to start with a download button, as clearly we
are not in a state where people download, boot a life system, and go ahead.
Personally, I think we should start with documentation, so people know where
they are heading; unfortunately, I realise that this might fit very poorly
with the nice graphic design that is based on the download button. Maybe the
first item could be a short description at least, with a link to more
comprehensive documentation. Or this could be integrated into the catch lines
above the download button, with orange links to documentation?

Concerning screenshots, I am a bit doubtful; in the end, we look more or less
like any other GNU/Linux distribution, so maybe they could come a little
bit later?

News and chat are nice to have, as well as the latest git commits.
For the chat, we should also give the #guix channel name on freenode and not
only the webchat.

What is missing are the mailing lists and the bug tracker. I think both are
important points where we encourage people to participate, so there should
be buttons to subscribe, a link to the bug tracker, and a button (?) to
submit a bug (maybe using the "mailto"-pseudo-url). If you think it is
useful, these could also be dynamic contents (with the latest open mailing
list threads, or the latest closed bugs, or something like that).

Any more ideas or reactions?

Thanks again for all this amazing work,

Andreas