guix-devel

Re: GSoC project ideas

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GSoC project ideas
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 00:25:38 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Could using Guile SSH for build offloading be made a project or is this
> the scope not big enough?

Not big enough I guess (and it’s partly done in wip-guile-ssh, the
missing bits being mostly in Guile-SSH itself.)

> This might also be extended to allow Guix clients to communicate with a
> remote Guix daemon, all operating on a shared store.  This would be a
> special case of offloading where the remote build machine is always used
> and no local Guix daemon needs to run at all.

Too small, I think.

It just occurred to me that this may be possible to solve it simply with
‘socat’.

On the machine that runs guix-daemon, run:

  socat TCP4-LISTEN:9999 UNIX:/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket

On the other one, run:

  socat UNIX-LISTEN:$PWD/foo TCP4:the-other-machine:9999 &
  export GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET=$PWD/foo

Does it work for you?

Thanks,
Ludo’.