guix-devel

GnuPG in Guix

From: g33k0b0y .
Subject: GnuPG in Guix
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 15:46:05 +1100

It seems that Guix can install multiple versions of GPG. It names the
1.4.18 version as gpg, and the 2.0.26 version as gpg2.

There is a problem, however.

By default Guix installs the highest version, which is 2.0.26.
However, an potential newbie could try calling it through bash as gpg.
This won't work, as it hasn't installed gpg version 1.4.18 and
therefore is expecting only gpg2 as its command. This is not made
clear to the user.

If I  am an inexperienced user and install gnupg, from my previous
experience with other distros, (Trisquel, gNewSense) I would expect to
use gpg to call it. Imagine my surprise when bash says command not
found! I am never told to use gpg2 as the command, nor would I think
of it.

How can we improve this?