guix-devel

Re: Locale of build environments

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Locale of build environments
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 00:16:12 +0100

Commit 5335c56 adds an ‘install-locale’ phase to gnu-build-system and
the next one adds glibc-utf8-locale to the implicit inputs.

During bootstrap, locales aren’t available so we’re still running on the
C locale, which is fine in practice because we only get to deal with
ASCII file names at that point and do not need UTF-8 for tests or
anything.

Commit 9cca706 adjust patch-and-repack to use UTF-8 as well when
possible–i.e., not during bootstrap.

The remain thing that needs to be done is ‘graft-derivation’.

Note to Mark: I didn’t use the #:env-vars approach we discussed on IRC,
where we’d pass GUILE_INSTALL_LOCALE=1 and LOCPATH=... directly because
that was trickier to do and didn’t add anything.

Ludo’.