guix-devel

Re: Guix "ops"

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: Guix "ops"
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 22:00:59 -0400

Carlos Sosa <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David and Ludovic,
>
> I've been doing configuration management in GuixSD with propellor by
> Joey Hess. https://propellor.branchable.com/

That's really cool.  Would you please share your configuration files?
I'd love to see what that looks like.

> While it works great, I would prefer any tool that works with Guile
> syntax.

Yes, we should have our own tool for this purpose that has excellent
integration with the rest of the system.

>> BTW, I’d prefer something like ‘guix deploy’ over ‘guix ops’, but then
>> another name would need to be found for the ‘deploy’ sub-command, maybe
>> ‘realize’?
>
>   I like the idea of 'guix deploy', and maybe something to propagates
>   given configuration files, like 'guix config prepare' and later 'guix
>   config apply'.

The only configuration we'd apply is a full system configuration, a la
'guix system reconfigure'.

> Now, how can I contribute? work the guix command?
>
> Let me know if you have a specific repository or place to find any work
> done on this.

I should create a "wip-deploy" branch in our git repository that you
could submit patches for.  I need to do a bit more work to get the very
basics working so we have a foundation to build on, though.

The other emails in this thread detail my basic strategy.  Here's an
example of a 'guix deploy' config that actually works right now:
http://paste.lisp.org/display/147741

I'm happy to discuss this more and figure out how to get you involved!
Thanks for expressing your interest.

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org