guix-devel

Re: LVM support

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: LVM support
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 12:32:44 +0200

Tomáš Čech <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sun, May 03, 2015 at 09:59:53PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>>Could you send an updated patch?  It sounds like we’re almost there,
>>I guess.
>
> Not there yet. Now I need to make some changes with mounting order to help
> non-root filesystems on LVM volume.
>
> Right now it seems it tries to:
> 1] mount all filesystems
> 2] run udev

Right.

> But I need to make it:
> 1] mount /dev
> 2] run udev service (with the `udevadm settle' in the end)
> 3] mount the rest of filesystems

OK.

Note that ‘file-system-service’ has a #:requirements parameter, which is
where we could pass '(udev).  But maybe some of the file systems defined
in (gnu system file-systems) need to be mounted before udev is started.
You’ll have to try.  ;-)

> It seems that /sys and /proc is mounted already from initrd phase using
> mount-essential-file-systems. Is there reason not to put /dev there as well?

The reason to do it this way is that it avoids another special case.
That said, in practice /dev is mounted from the initrd because
%devtmpfs-file-system has ‘needed-for-boot?’ set.

> I see none so I'll try to add /dev filesystem mounting there (and to
> move-essential-file-systems) and remove it from %base-file-systems.

I don’t think this is necessary.

Thanks,
Ludo’.