guix-devel

Re: Bugs in parsing build options

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Bugs in parsing build options
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 21:32:24 +0200

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> 1. The following command:
>
>   GUIX_BUILD_OPTIONS="--no-grub" guix package --help
>
> gives the following error:
>
>   guix package: error: no-grub: unrecognized option
>
> So it makes impossible to use GUIX_BUILD_OPTIONS env var or did I miss
> anything?

GUIX_BUILD_OPTIONS is intended for options that related to building,
namely those listed in ‘%standard-build-options’ in (guix scripts
build).

Conversely, ‘--no-grub’ is specific to ‘guix system’.

> 2. The manual says that ‘guix package’ «supports all the common build
> options that ‘guix build’ supports» and the following command works
> perfectly:
>
>   guix build --system=i686-linux hello
>
> However, the following command:
>
>   guix package --system=i686-linux --install hello
>
> gives an error again:
>
>   guix package: error: system=i686-linux: unrecognized option

Same issue: the manual is somewhat vague, but ‘--system’ is not in
‘%standard-build-options’.

‘--system’ was intentionally not added to ‘guix package’ on the grounds
that it wouldn’t be very useful to install binaries built for another
system in a profile.

Now, I agree that the situation is different on “multi-personality”
systems, so maybe we should revise that choice?

Thoughts?

Ludo’.