guix-devel

Re: Merging ‘HACKING’ in the manual?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Merging ‘HACKING’ in the manual?
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 21:34:11 +0200

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> skribis:

> I like GNUnet's use of "handbooks" to separate information. They have
> Installation Handbook, User Handbook, and Developer Handbook. I think
> something similar could work well for Guix.

We should aim to blur the distinction between developers and users, and
I think we have the right technical environment for that
(“configuration” files that happen to actually be Scheme, “package
recipes” that happen to be Scheme as well, etc.)  So I’m in favor of
keeping the technical information all grouped together.

I think the installations sections are fine in the main manual.

The question here is more about the organizational documentation.

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> I don't have a strong opinion.  It might be a separate “Hacking” (or
> whatever) section in the current manual or another “maint” info manual.
> Both solutions look good to me.  I have a slight preference for the
> first variant though.

Yes, that’s also my current inclination.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.