guix-devel

Re: Questions and Notes regarding Offloading and Substitutes

From: Carlos Sosa
Subject: Re: Questions and Notes regarding Offloading and Substitutes
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:28:10 -0700

> I must say that the fact that lsh was not mentioned was originally
> intentional, on the grounds that the implementation would “soon” switch
> to Guile-SSH instead (which is compatible with OpenSSH, not lsh.)  But
> that hasn’t happened yet, although there’s a branch, wip-guile-ssh.

  Oh I did see that branch in Savannah. Do you think I can try out
  `wip-guile-ssh`? Is it in a working condition? Just like with these
  topic I will give you my feedback :)

> Normally everything gets offloaded provided there are available slots on
> the target machines (as per the ‘parallel-builds’ field.)
>
> Now, some derivations explicitly ask not to be offloaded (search for
> #:local-build? in the code.)  This is typically derivations that do very
> little work and produce small files, where the overhead of offloading
> would outweigh the gain.

  That makes sense, I didn't know about #:local-build, I actually don't
  mind small components I tried it out yesterday, and seems fine.

> What do you mean by “send all of the needed substitutes”?  Note that
> offloading and substitutes are two different mechanisms, even though
> they seem similar.

  I figured out what I was doing wrong. Don't mind that. What I wanted
  seems to be solved with a proper setup of subtitutes. My confusion
  with builds and subtitutes was resolved in the IRC channel.

  Btw, no worries about the late reply I understand.

  -- Carlos