guix-devel

Re: Compile guix from git?

From: 韋嘉誠
Subject: Re: Compile guix from git?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:38:54 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)" <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> How do people compile guix directly from git source? I've been
>> searching around in HACKING and manual.html#Contributing and other
>> places, the internet in general, and haven't been able to find any
>> instructions.
>>
>> It ought to be:
>>
>> 1. Get dependencies manually or with 'guix environment guix'.
>> 2. aclocal
>> 3. automake, maybe automake -a
>> 4. autoconf
>> 5. configure --sharedstatedir=/var --with-libgcrypt-prefix=wherever
>> 6. make
>
> Replace #2, #3, and #4 with just “autoreconf -vfi”.
>
> For #5, you probably mean --localstatedir, not --sharedstatedir.

Oh, oops. Lucky I wrote it out explicitly. I'll take another look at
the Contributing chapter, now that I know I need to use the latest git
version.

>> But #3 fails. nix/config.h.in is missing, maybe other things too but
>> that's where it halts.
>
> Don’t worry, ‘autoreconf’ will do the right thing.  :-)

Yeah, I noticed. The above has worked for most GNU utils and similar
I've ever touched, but guix seems a bit more involved. :-)

> Alternately, you can also do:
>
>   guix build guix --with-source=/path/to/guix

Very cool! That takes care of everything, I assume. Environment,
autotools, config params, the works. Good. Build instructions are best
kept in code.

Maybe this route is already mentioned in Contributing. If it isn't, it should!

> where the last component of /path/to/guix is literally ‘guix’, and where
> /path/to/guix contains a possibly pristine checkout.  But of course,
> that command builds from scratch, which may not be what you want.
>
> HTH!

Sure does!