guix-devel

Re: [RFC]: Respect /etc/security/limits.conf

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [RFC]: Respect /etc/security/limits.conf
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:58:09 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

>>> generate ‘/etc/security/limits.conf’ (or ‘/etc/security/limits.d/’), but
>>> it should respect such file if it does exist.  (I have not yet tested
>>> this, but I will some time this week.)
>>>
>>> Does this look okay?
>>
>> As long as lack of /etc/security/limits.conf doesn’t create any problems
>> or annoying warnings, that’s fine!
>
> So, I did test this and found a couple of issues:
>
> * my patches need modification as ‘pam_limits.so’ looks for
>   ‘limits.conf’ in the output directory of the linux-pam package, not in
>   ‘/etc/security/’.  This can be changed by passing
>   “conf=/etc/security/limits.conf” as an argument for the pam-entry.

We don’t even have to add it to /etc then; we could do
“conf=/gnu/store/…-limits.conf”, which is preferable IMO (it’s like
avoiding a global variable.)

> * when ‘pam_limits.so’ is loaded by “login” and configured to look for
>   ‘/etc/security/limits.conf’, logins fail with “Error in service
>   module” when the file does not exist.

So I guess we could create an empty(?) limits.conf file by default?

> * changing the pam service for “login” is not enough as it only affects
>   console logins.  When a user logs in via slim (or switches user
>   accounts with ‘su’), limits are not respected.
>
> I’ll update my patches to address the first point.  For the second point
> we need to make sure to install ‘/etc/security/limits.conf’ (even if
> it’s just empty).  The linux-pam package provides ‘$out/etc/security/*’
> but nothing is deployed to ‘/etc’ when configuring the system.
>
> To address the third point we could enhance the pam-services for ‘slim’
> and ‘su’ in addition to ‘login’.

Sounds like a good plan.

I guess changing the default values of the PAM entries to include
pam_limits.so is reasonable.  A similar pattern occurs with elogind
though, as Andy wrote some time ago.

So, looking forward, there’s the question of whether we should provide a
more flexible way to extend ‘pam-service-type’.  For instance, there
could be a ‘limits-service’ that extends ‘pam-service-type’ such that
all the contributed PAM entries are augmented with ‘pam_limits.so’;
likewise, ‘elogind-service’ would add ‘pam_elogind.so.’

One way to do that would be to extend ‘pam-service-type’ with a
procedure instead of a ‘pam-entry’; that procedure would then be mapped
over all the contributed PAM entries.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.