guix-devel

Re: Inconsistencies in 'guix system' and 'guix package'

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Inconsistencies in 'guix system' and 'guix package'
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 00:36:39 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2015-10-27 19:06 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> 1. Should 'guix system' actions share the same options?
>>
>> I think it is confusing that recently added 'guix system' actions
>> (dmd-graph, extension-graph and list-generations) can take the same
>> command-line options as the other system actions (--dry-run, --no-grub,
>> etc.), because specifying these options doesn't take any effect.
>>
>> Another thing: "guix system <any-action> --help" displays the same help
>> message for any action.  With 'list-generations' it is even more
>> confusing, as (unlike the other actions) it takes PATTERN, not FILE as
>> the positional argument.
>>
>> What about splitting 'guix system' into submodules (as it is done for
>> 'guix import') with putting general bits into (guix scripts system)?
>
> I like the idea of submodules à la ‘guix import’!  Would you like to
> give it a try?  The thing is, all the actions except ‘list-generations’
> have a lot in common.

Yes, I would like to give a try, though I will not give a time to it
very soon :-(  But sooner or later… I hope :-)

[...]
>> Analogously, would it be appropriate to replace some 'guix package'
>> options (--show, --list-generations --list-installed, --list-available)
>> with subcommands ('guix package show', ...)?
>
> But then some operations would have no subcommands: install, remove,
> rollback, etc.  So the syntax would be:
>
>   guix package SUBCOMMAND OPTIONS
>
> or:
>
>   guix package OPTIONS
>
> depending on the situation.  That’s not great either.

Heh, not great, I agree.

> Maybe (thinking out loud) we could separate this in:
>
>   guix package -> for installation, removal, upgrade, rollback
>   guix query   -> for list-whatever, show
>
> and then we need to find a place for --delete-generations.
>
> Thoughts?

'guix query' sounds interesting!

> Seems like a can of worms, definitely post-0.9.0.

Indeed; I just feel there are things to improve there, so I raised this
question.  But I should probably say "Sorry for bothering", as I don't
really have my understanding how an ideal 'guix package' should look.

Thanks for answering!  (and sorry for bothering)

--
Alex