guix-devel

Re: proposal: add "packagers" field (list of strings (names)) to package

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: proposal: add "packagers" field (list of strings (names)) to package definition
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:50:19 +0100

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 03:59:52PM +0100, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
> Aww, too bad. I think it's a missed opportunity to be inclusive and
> generous with attribution which might motivate people to contribute.
> Guix is in a unique position with this opportunity.

The problem with attributions is that it is also exclusive of others who
might contribute to the package otherwise. It can create tendencies to
"own" packages, which creates a barrier for others to modify the package;
so inactive maintainers can become a big burden to the progress of the
project as a whole.

On the contrary to your statement, I think that Guix is extraordinarily
inclusive and welcoming for contributions; newcomers may immediately suggest
patches to all existing packages.

Andreas