guix-devel

Re: getting started test-building packages without breaking the system p

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: getting started test-building packages without breaking the system profile?
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 19:54:51 +0100

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 12:54:53PM -0500, anonymiss wrote:
> I've read https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/
> Packaging-Guidelines.html and I am done with the gnunet-gtk.scm, at least as
> far as I can go without testing.

It would be better to add the package to the existing gnunet.scm (which also
makes it easier to test, as there is no need to register a new file in
gnu-system.am).

Is a separate package needed, or could the existing recipe be extended to
also build the gtk+ binaries? If there is no separate source, I think this
would be the preferred approach.

> My question is, do I check out the guix.git for testing the package with
> ./pre-inst-env guix build $pkg-name --keep-failed
> or what is the general recommended process for this?

This is how I work; in this way, you can provide a patch that applies
directly on top of master.

Andreas