guix-devel

Re: GNOME on GuixSD

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GNOME on GuixSD
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 23:28:32 +0100

address@hidden (宋文武) skribis:

> With commit a4df575, we can get a minimal gnome-shell on GuixSD.
>
> Make sure you have elogind and upower-daemon services running,
> and add the following packages:
>
>   adwaita-icon-theme, gnome-session, gnome-shell,
>   gnome-control-center, gnome-settings-daemon, dbus
>
> to the packages field (to use with the silm login manager) or
> user profile (then add 'exec gnome-session' to ~/.xsession).
>
> Please give suggestions :-)

What about defining %gnome-packages in (gnu system desktop)?  Then if
someone appends it to %base-packages, they get a ready-to-use GNOME
desktop, no?  (Slim should find the .desktop entry for GNOME.)

Similarly, we should update ‘desktop.tmpl’ to mention %gnome-packages or
whatever it takes to use GNOME.

WDYT?

Thank you for all the work!

Ludo’.