guix-devel

Re: Commit 958dd3ce68 will break emacs interface after "guix pull"

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Commit 958dd3ce68 will break emacs interface after "guix pull"
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 21:25:33 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2016-05-06 13:36 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Hello Ludo, this is not related to system tests, but in this patchset
>> you also moved 'memoize' to (guix combinators).  In commit 86670ca4b7 I
>> adjusted emacs interface to use it.
>
> Ooops, sorry for the breakage.  I guess I don’t master ‘grep’ yet.  ;-)

No problem, I keep an eye emacs UI :-)

>> However, it is not enough (see [1]): currently, if a user does "guix
>> pull", (s)he gets the recent guile code with the new (guix combinators)
>> module, but the emacs stuff is still old as it comes with the
>> development snapshot.
>>
>> So in this case emacs interface will not work (complaining about unbound
>> 'memoize' variable).
>
> Indeed.
>
>> So I think it's the time to update guix-devel package.  Is it OK to do
>> it now?
>
> Yes, we could do that, but the problem remains on foreign distros
> though.

Not really: on foreign distros the recommended way (it's probably the
only way except using git checkout) to use emacs interface is to install
guix into a user profile, so once we update guix-devel snapshot, it can
be updated by a user, and this breakage will be fixed.

> What about simply #:re-export (memoize) in (guix utils) for now?

Oh, indeed, this is a good workaround, thanks!  OK for the attached
patch or should I add some comment there?

>> In general, it is not perfect that "guix pull" updates only guile
>> modules, and not emacs interface.  I recall there were similar (but much
>> smaller) breakages when emacs stuff and guile code (from
>> "~/.config/guix/latest") were out of sync.
>
> Yes, that’s definitely one of the shortcomings we should address:
>
>   http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22629

Yes, I'm aware of this, thanks (and sorry that I'm not the taker).