guix-devel

Re: Rust

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Rust
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:57:05 +0200

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 03:34:08PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> When the chain becomes too long, we’ll host new bootstrap binaries
> produced with Guix and cut the initial part of the chain.
>
> Thoughts?

This sounds like a very good approach for compilers written in their
own language. Same will be true for the D compilers. The D compiler
was recently ported to D and the authors say they will aim to keep
support for bootstrapping from C - but they added it may grow
complicated over time. I think the Elixir compiler will also be ported
to Elixer in time... there have been some noises.

The bootstrapping from source is a fine idea(l), but not always
practical for package authors.

Interesting point is if we can share one such cross-building binary
compiler for all target platforms, or are we going to store binaries
for each of them?

Pj.