guix-devel

Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 00:58:30 +0000

> [ Unknown signature status ]
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 11:19:00AM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>
>      I begin to suspect that what I want has not been written, like in
>      several other cases I ran into in the last years.

What I meant here, and before that, will get too offtopic at the
moment. Eventually I will have an article translated which I can
reference in a text. (For those fluent in those two languages, this is
what I mean: http://my.pages.de/convivenza.it ,
http://my.pages.de/convivenza.de )

In this case "has not been written": I'm thinking about a completely
distributed version control system, serverless, but there are issues I
do not understand at the moment and can not put my full attention
to. I have some ideas outlined, and some annoyances every system I used
so far had (namechanges for examples). This is also why I am packaging
darcs to look at pijul and so on.

> I suspect it is more a case of not being able to agree on one.
>
> I have found, in the past, that aegis is a great tool for managing the kind of
> work we do.   Amongst other things, code review and tests are built into the
> design - and not tagged on as an afterthought.  And it is designed to ensure
> an "always works" policy.  A real "continuous integration" tool, which is a
> term which is banded about so much these days, but rarely actually done.
>

> Unfortunately, aegis is difficult to introduce to a project - not for
> technical
> reasons - but social ones.  My attempts have often resulted in people
> complaining
> that the thing is "defective" because it won't allow them to do what they
> want (ie commit
> without review/build/test).
>
> J'

This sounds interesting. Is there a demo instance somewhere?

--
ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org