guix-devel

Re: R

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: R
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 15:02:06 +0200

Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I thought I'd respond to this old thread now that the openblas eigen
> error seems to be fixed. I'm interested in using openblas so that the
> (as yet not in master) WGCNA package works faster, among other things:
>
> https://labs.genetics.ucla.edu/horvath/CoexpressionNetwork/Rpackages/WGCNA/faq.html
>

> On 06/02/16 08:24, Andreas Enge wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 09:48:24PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>> I would suggest to drop “--with-lapack”, too.  (I haven’t found the time
>>> to try building without this flag just now.)  The manual says:
>>> I don’t remember why I added it in the first place, so I think it’s best
>>> to drop it, considering that the manual tells us only to do it if we
>>> know what we want to achieve by adding it.
>> I did, and it still builds on arm.
>
> Shall I push the attached patch to core-updates? I tested it on x86_64.
> Or, would you mind testing it on arm please Andreas?

The patch looks fine to me and I’m generally in favour of adding
OpenBLAS to R.

I should note that the R admin manual[1] says that the correct configure
flag for OpenBLAS is

    --with-blas="-lopenblas"

I’m not sure if this makes a difference.

~~ Ricardo

[1]:
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Goto-and-OpenBLAS