guix-devel

Re: Guix on other distros: Gentoo. [You run Gentoo? Please help testing.

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Guix on other distros: Gentoo. [You run Gentoo? Please help testing.]
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 09:59:58 +0000

Hi,

I don't like to leave questions open. What if someone else finds this in
the future and wonders how we solved it? Find the answer below.

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 07:02:14PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>>
>> The disfunctional thing currently is:
>>
>> guixbuilder01 ... guixbuilder10 get created and added to guixbuild
>> group.
>>
>> Post-setup I let root authorize hydra's pubkey, then I run
>> `rc-service start guix' which sadly makes the terminal unusable if you
>> don't append "&".
>>
>> running guix pull then as root downloads happen, but as soon as builder
>> should start, it fails:
>>
>> shikahr ~ # guix pull
>>
>> Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.RpedfI
>> From http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/master.tar.gz...
>>  ….tar.gz                                   1.1MiB/s 00:10 | 10.3MiB
>>  transferred
>>  unpacking
>>  '/gnu/store/h33fva5hvrw7z99vrn3ivnh07mgg55qc-guix-latest.tar.gz'...
>>  substitute: updating list of substitutes from
>>  'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>>  The following derivations will be built:
>>     /gnu/store/yw3dzq3nlngki5bd8z5yp1aslvzsjh1n-guix-latest.drv
>>     /gnu/store/2gyrssyswj0p2z6yr7938kln20piy4w6-module-import.drv
>>     /gnu/store/jb6ir2q5j8lwmdcqlhs7c4vdkgllcjga-module-import-compiled.drv
>>   building path(s)
>>    `/gnu/store/35xw5kccyq76v8zgkdrnx1z9w8s6ll7m-module-import'
>>     guix pull: error: build failed: the build users group
>>           `guixbuild' has no members
>>           shikahr ~ # id -nG guixbuilder01
>>           guixbuild
>>           shikahr ~ # id -nG guixbuilder1
>>           id: guixbuilder1: no such user
>>

>> I know the openrc service is total crap because if you don't kill every
>> instance of guix-daemon before shutdown/reboot, you have almost 30
>> minutes delay.
>> OpenRC services are not my favorit thing to write, but it should just
>> work.
>>
>> Also strange enough a sequence from 1 - 10 in ebuild creates users 01 -
>> 10.
>>
> one thing you could try as a work around is to only make 9 builders, or
> to number the builders from 10 to 19.

This is how lynX worked around it for my ebuild:

pkg_setup() {
        enewgroup guixbuild
        g=0
        for i in `seq -w 0 9`;
        do
                enewuser guixbld$i -1 -1 /var/empty guixbuild;
                if [ $g == 0 ]; then
                        g="guixbld$i"
                else
                        g="$g,guixbld$i"
                fi
        done
        # For some strange reason all of the generated
        # user ids need to be listed in /etc/group even though
        # they were created with the correct group. This is a
        # command that patches the /etc/group file accordingly,
        # but it expects perl to be installed. If you don't have
        # perl installed, you have to do this manually. Adding a
        # dependency for this is inappropriate.
        perl -pi~ -e 's/^(guixbuild:\w+:\d+):$/\1:'$g'/' /etc/group
}

With the current version I was able to build+install "hello". What's now
missing is fixing the service, otherwise you can safely run Guix on
Gentoo.

> --
> Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר
> GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
> Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted
>
> --

              ng0