guix-devel

Re: remove patchworks. [notes on gitlab, go-build-system, ruby]

From: ng0
Subject: Re: remove patchworks. [notes on gitlab, go-build-system, ruby]
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 21:07:09 +0000

> ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> We have 22 pages of "open" patches. But they are not really open. I
>> believe almost no one uses patchworks. I did for some time, and so did
>> Ludovic and probably 3 more people but that's it.
>
> Yeah, I agree, this was experimental, and the experiment wasn’t quite
> successful.  We don’t need to formally “remove” the instance though; we
> can eventually email the Sourceware folks asking them to do so, but no
> rush IMO.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

I Agree.

Regarding gitlab: if we do not want the omnibus package (we will not be
able to use this easily on guixsd anyway), we need at least a
go-build-system. I have outlined most of what I need to achieve what I
want from GuixSD[0], and go-build-system based packages and items are not
on the list. I will not work on a go-build-system, in contrast to what
I've written in an earlier message.

We need go-build-system for:

Gogs
 - and its dependencies

Gitlab
 - gitlab-workhorse

There's also something ruby based in the gitlab suite (gitlab-shell,
gitlab-ce) I'm currently working on gitlab-shell, but I already shift
towards handing my wip over to our ruby experts.
--
              ng0