guix-devel

Re: Stuck on KiCad dependency wxPython

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Stuck on KiCad dependency wxPython
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 09:09:59 +0200

Hi,

your patch looks good. But I'd rather not downgrade boost and neither do I want
to carry a second boost on my system.

> On the build side of things, first of all, the update to boost 1.61.0
> breaks the build of kicad, with a header missing error. I have reverted
> the latest changes in boost (to 1.60.1), in the patch, for development
> purposes.

Boost 1.61.0 can be used in KiCad after applying
<https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/commit/06d4894fdbeb00727cdcc667b8899ad73d8eb1c2>
 (which has been applied upstream). That is a mirror site - I'm just using it
because of the nice syntax highlighting so you can read it better.

I also have the redrawing and resizing problems with the patch - I thought it
was a general KiCad bug.

I think that it would be good to use git-download in the package definition and
see whether all the problems vanish. If not we should notify them of the
problems (the redrawing, resizing etc).

The git-download would be:

  #:use-module (guix git-download)
      (source
        (origin
          (method git-fetch)
          (uri (git-reference
                 (url "https://git.launchpad.net/kicad";)
                 (commit commit))) ; FIXME find a good commit
          (sha256
            (base32
              "0cm47s5pvijfs3v2k7hmpxv3mvp4n5la0ihnsczk5ym3iq166jil")) ;  FIXME
update
          (file-name (string-append name "-" version "-checkout"))))

> -I have not added the kicad-libraries(components and footprints) in the
> package yet.

We should add components and footprints in an extra package - because many
people use external footprint repos (tuned for their manufacturing tolerances)
and don't need the "official" ones at all.

> The wxpython package tries to install the wxPython headers in
> gnu/store/...-wxwidgets-3.0.2/include by default. I force set WXPREFIX
> in config.py to get around that.

Good :)

>In turn, in the kicad package, the
> include path has to be set with a cmake flag, to find the wxPython
> headers.

The discovery of wxpython in kicad works via CMakeLists.txt :

        set( PYTHON_DEST
${LIBWXPYTHON_ROOT}/wxPython/lib/python2.6/site-packages )

So it might be enough to

    (setenv "LIBWXPYTHON_ROOT" (assoc-ref inputs "python2-wxpython"))

after we make python2-wxpython install to $out/wxPython . Or we could patch
CMakeLists.txt to s/wxPython// and do the latter.

I'm not sure whether either would be an improvement, though.

> The phase that replaces 'install in wxpython, can be obviously ommitted, if
> your patch to honor configure-flags in python build phase is accepted.

'build - yes. It's interesting that few packages seem to be affected by missing
build flags without the patch. Either that or they broke silently :P