guix-devel

Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 01:20:56 -0800

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for this very comprehensive feedback.  I hope you will forgive
> me if I don't respond to every point you have raised.  I have however read
> them all, and they are all relevant and useful.  So thanks very much.

My pleasure!  It's easy to give feedback; it's hard to write something
that works.  Thank you for writing something that works!

> * It would be great if you could try to find out why your wireless failed.

I'll look into it.  FWIW, the following DOES work for setting up my
wireless from the (usual release) installation image (I know WEP is
insecure, but I use it for certain reasons that are not related to the
topic of this email thread):

config_file="$(mktemp --tmpdir wireless-XXXXX.cfg)"
trap "rm -f $config_file" EXIT
cat > "$config_file" << EOM
network={
    ssid="my-network-id"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0=my-wep-key
}
EOM
wpa_supplicant -i wlp2s0 -c "$config_file" -B
dhclient -v wlp2s0

Does your installer assume a specific (non-WEP) wireless encryption
protocol?  That might explain the issue.

> * What would you suggest instead of the "Reboot" message?

I think the USB stick needs to be mounted in order for the system to
function, right?  So it seems like we can't unmount it before
rebooting...  I know that Ubuntu's installer ejects the installation CD
and asks the user to remove it and then reboot, so it must be possible
to arrange for the media to be physically removed without crashing the
system.  I'm not sure how to do that, though.

Until that's figured out, maybe just say something like: "To avoid
accidentally booting into the installation media, please shut down the
computer, remove the installation media, and turn the computer back on."
How's that?  Too verbose?

Anyway, thanks again for the installer.  It's really nice!

--
Chris