guix-devel

ELPA importer and upstream URLs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: ELPA importer and upstream URLs
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:09:08 +0100

Hello!

Mathieu OTHACEHE <address@hidden> skribis:

>> What needs to be done?  We cannot guess the upstream URL just from the
>> MELPA one, can we?
>
> No, but we can maybe use the other fields provided by melpa to find the
> github archive url ?

Sounds like a good idea.

> There's a field ":url" pointing to github when appropriate :
>
> (log4e . [(20150105 505) nil "provide logging framework for elisp" single
> ((:url . "https://github.com/aki2o/log4e";) (:keywords "log"))])
>
> But it seems a bit hacky ...

The difficulty is that we need both the Git URL and a commit ID.  Is the
commit ID available?

If we have all of that ‘guix import elpa’ could just extract that data
and generate the right thing.  For packages that don’t have a URL/commit
associated with them, it could just keep doing the same as now.

WDYT?  Would you or Carlo like to give it a try?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.