guix-devel

Guix package incubator (later a channel)

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Guix package incubator (later a channel)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 19:09:23 +0000

Hi all,

After yesterday's FOSDEM discussion I propose to set up a 'Guix
incubator' git tree using Gitlab. The master branch will track the
main Guix master but project can run on forked trees and branches. The
idea is to have patches prepared by new committers or by people who
simply prefer to use a web-based git environment. Each of these trees
can become a guix channel - once we have channels to support that.

It won't hamper the normal process since ready patches still get
compiled and submitted through the mailing list (ML). In fact it may
help scale the review process by getting peer reviewers involved. The
idea is that we have an incubator environment before the ML which
allows for playful learning and tracking of patches that may (or may
not) make it into main line. I think it is very important to have a
low barrier to entry when it comes to submitting package recipes.

Gitlab may help. I'll take the lead and maybe I'll start submitting my
own patches again ;)

How about using http://notabug.org/? Will they be happy to host us and
is that the best place for gitlab?

Pj.