guix-devel

Re: GuixSD on commodity hosting platforms, hoster: IN-Berlin

From: ng0
Subject: Re: GuixSD on commodity hosting platforms, hoster: IN-Berlin
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 13:35:59 +0000

On 17-02-11 11:37:27, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> >> Can you share the config.scm of that?
> >
> > What do you mean?
>
> I imagined you will be running something like
>
>     guix system disk-image in-berlin.scm
>
> It is this `in-berlin.scm' file that I was referring to.
>
> Also, I assumed that hosting providers have some of basic set of
> requirements for the images that they take.  I remember to have heard
> there are several (ugh) cloud/stack standards that one could target.

It's different with IN-Berlin:

  AH>Wir installieren die VMs mit Debian Netboot + Preseed direkt in ein LV
  AH>(RAW-Format).
  AH>
  AH>Du erhälst ja Konslolenzugriff auf eine VM und wir können dir zur
Installation
  AH>auch ein beliebiges ISO einbinden.

Their VMs are installed with Debian Netboot + Preseed directly in an LV
(RAW-Format).  You get Consoleaccess to the VM (out of band, there's a
dedicated console server) and they can mount some ISO image for
installation if you wish.

> That would mean that you will be spending some effort to get
> `in-berlin.scm' just right, and I would like to make use of that instead
> of figuring it all out again myself when I try another hosting provider.
>
> Greetings, janneke
>
> --
> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
> Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl

I think what I will do is request some outputs of lshw etc, or rent a
very minimal machine so I can adapt settings myself, but my hope is
GuixSD will just work* out of the box with only an added sshd and some
other minimal changes.

* work, as in ready to start installing more software.
--
ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/