guix-devel

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Free firmware - A redefinition of the term and a n

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Free firmware - A redefinition of the term and a new metric for it's measurement.
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 20:24:33 +0100

> If the attacker *is* vendor who supplies the proprietary device then they
> would
> not have to reverse engineer it.

You can always choose not to apply the vendors update. If for example
the company you initially trusted with by purchasing their device gets
bought by another company or you have some other reason to stop
trusting it. CEO changed, their website was hacked or whatever.

> A recommended read for anyone interested in the idea of free hardware!
> Thanks for sharing.

Don't know if you've heard of sifive [0]. If there is a startup that
has the potential to create lasting change in the semiconductor
industry, my money is on them... :) I should be getting one of the
first riscv boards soon!

[0] https://www.sifive.com/