guix-devel

Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2017

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2017
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 21:58:59 +0100

> "Mark was completely right - it's total BS".

Well I did some work on running guixsd on arm, part of which involved
trying to make the linux-libre package more extensible. Mark
criticized it as not being very well thought out, and I found that it
was not very extensible.

Coming from a background in functional programming I decided that it
made sense to have a function -> package to create variants. But as it
turns out Ludo already has created a great way of extending packages
through records with (inherit). The function -> package thing doesn't
work very well.