guix-devel

Re: Can (grub-configuration (device $DEV)) accept UUIDs?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Can (grub-configuration (device $DEV)) accept UUIDs?
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 17:19:21 +0100

Hi,

<address@hidden> skribis:

> I am in the process of trying to get GuixSD installed on my desktop and
> I've run into a minor issue. The documentation doesn't mention any
> support for UUIDs for grub-configuration (I'm going by the webpage with
> the install instead of the info files on the LiveUSB). Anyways, since
> the boot drive is very likely to change between install and the first
> LiveUSBless install, I'd rather use UUIDs. Can grub-configuration
> support this?

Unfortunately it can’t, because there are no UUIDs (that I know of) to
identify drives.

However, as the manual vaguely suggests (too vaguely I admit), you can
use a GRUB device identifier such as “(hd0)”.  This is stable across
reboot, AIUI.  I’ve never tried it but if you can confirm that it works
this way, we could/should update the documentation to propose that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.