guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] Development of Cuirass.

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Development of Cuirass.
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 11:32:47 +0100

On Sun 12 Mar 2017 15:49, Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> writes:

> Here is my proposal for the Google Summer of Code 2017.

Looks great to me.  FWIW I think you may want to use Fibers in Cuirass.
Sometimes a web API request might need to "fork" off a number of tasks,
and Fibers lets you do that pretty easily, and provides nice
communications mechanisms for inter-fiber communication like channels
and condition variables.  It also prevents one long API request from
starving other API users.  Also its abstractions are thread-safe, and it
enables parallel speedups by using all available cores.

Right now Fibers doesn't have explicit support for subprocess events
like child-died, etc, though it can do concurrent access to multiple
pipes at once.  So there's some work to do here.

A reference:

  https://github.com/wingo/fibers/wiki/Manual

Specifically see the "web server" notes in the Examples section.  Fibers
is in Guix as "guile-fibers".

Happy hacking,

Andy