guix-devel

MIPS support suspended

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: MIPS support suspended
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 22:27:59 +0200

Hi Guix!

We’ve always had difficulties with mips64el-linux builds.  At our best
we had two slow MIPS build machines behind hydra.gnu.org.  One of them
died months ago, and the second one¹ (hosted at the FSF) went off-line
around early February.  Mark has been kindly taking care of these
machines but hasn’t yet figured out what to do with this one.

As a consequence, ‘core-updates’ has not been fully built for
misp64el-linux.  Mark tested it on a Yeeloong and noticed that the
generated code, since the upgrade of Binutils to 2.27, tends to lock up
the machine; reverting to 2.25 fixes the problem.

Thus, the next Guix release will probably not have a binary tarball for
MIPS.  We hope to resume proper support in the future if everything goes
well.

Apologies to Guix users on MIPS.  If you have an interest in this
architecture and better yet, if you have a build machine that you could
provide us with, please let us know!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

¹ See the list of machines at <https://gnu.org/s/guix/donate/>.