guix-devel

Re: Packaging BLIS

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Packaging BLIS
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 23:36:10 +0100

> That caught my attention so I packaged BLIS:
>

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=5a7deb117424ff4d430b771b50e534cf065c0ba1
>
> There are several “flavors” of BLIS, so you can always rebuild your
> favorite program with:
>
>   --with-input=openblas=blis-haswell
>
> and similar (or even ‘--with-graft=blis=blis-haswell’ where applicable).

I'm not aware of an advantage of BLIS over OpenBLAS except for KNL (and
maybe Skylake Xeon, if that's covered).  My interest was specifically
for avx512.  (BLIS is documented as basically a research effort, which I
think explains the way it's built.)

> Hopefully the issue you linked to above will be fixed in future versions
> of BLIS, at which point we can probably provide a single “blis” package.
>
> Ludo’.

I still think it's important to be able to select the BLAS at run time
with dynamic linking.  I suppose the trick I used for rpm will work
similarly, though I'm not sure how ld.so behaves in Guix.