guix-devel

Status of "GuixOps"?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Status of "GuixOps"?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 20:34:50 +0200

Hi,

in Ludo's presentation at GHM he presented "GuixOps" on a slide. What is
the status of this approach? I'm very interested in trying it out and
contributing.

I contributed to DebOps when it was "young". So my point of view is
influenced by how DebOps works. DebOps is a collection of interoperating
role/recipes for Ansible. Debops has become quite complex and I would
like to migrate to GuixSD for new systems.

Q1: I did not follow the development closely, but I seem to recall that
there is some guix sub-command for configuring a remote system. But
grepping the manual for "remote", I did not find it, neither one of the
commands did attract me. How is it called?

Q2: DebOps has some tooling to securely store credentials, certificates,
etc. It uses a gpg-encrypted container which is mounted using FUSE. When
I unlock this container, the appropriate data is transferred to the
target system. How can this be handled with GuixSD? AFAIU with GuixSD
all data in the system-configuration is world-readable in the store. So
how can I automatically transfer e.g. passwords and private keys the the
target system?

Q3: One of DepOps' main features for me is easy use and the automatic
refresh of Let's Encrypt certificates. Basically I just say: "Create
certificates for hostnames A, B, C" and everything happens
automatically: Configuration of nginx, creating the CSR, requesting the
certificate, renewal, etc. What is the status for something like this
for GuixSD?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel