guix-devel

Re: My experiences with partitioning according to the manual

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: My experiences with partitioning according to the manual
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 15:37:58 +0200

Hi Ludo,

Am 19.09.2017 um 13:47 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> “cfdisk” (without any arguments) pops up an ncurses interface that’s
> reasonably easy to use, at least for someone already familiar with
> partitioning.
>
> What makes you think that it expects a script?

It asked me for a script. I just tried again and it did not ̣so probably
I did something wrong.

Nevertheless I had trouble using cfdisk, as I wrote to Danny this
morning (as part of my feedback on the installer). Most important:
cfdisk offers too many and non-obvious options for partition types. The
manual ought to state which to use – or if this can be ignored since
mkfs will set the correct type anyway (it if does, as I mean to have seen).

> There’s probably room for improvement, though we chose to not
> (re)document everything about partitioning—it’s something that belongs
> elsewhere IMO.

This makes sense. What about linking to the "GNU storage guide" then?

>>   * How to align the first partition (with parted)?
> I don’t remember having to worry about this.  Did you have troubles?

Yes, when using parted and I wanted to add a partition starting at
sector 0. cfdisk did not ask for a start and aligned it automatically.

> We don’t have the Parted commands because the manual suggests cfdisk.

That's okay, but the manual mentions parted to set the efi flag. And
since I had trouble with cfdisk, I used parted.

> I’ve added the ‘mkfs.fat’ command.
Thanks.

--
Regards