guix-devel

Re: Go packaging

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Go packaging
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 08:16:21 -0400

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 11:15:04AM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Based on my work creating a go-build-system and packaging a non-trivial
> Go application [0], I want to start a discussion on how we can
> efficiently package Go software in Guix.

Another question, which is bikesheddy, is how to name Go packages in
Guix.

So far, I've used "golang-$upstreamname", which is how Petter named the
work-in-progress packages I am finishing. This leads to very long
package names, but I don't know a better way to ensure unique names for
each package.

I think we should do "go-$upstreamname" instead. Golang is not the name
of the language, but rather the domain name (go.org was apparently not
available), and a term that has been adopted by the community. But, it
would be good to save 4 characters here.